Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Random New York Ramblings Part 2

Apparently I had more to say than I thought. Can you tell I had fun? It was such a huge place with so much to do and see. Here's me at Rockefeller Center. I really wanted to go ice-skating, but we were totally pressed for time. And I had a massive blister on my foot I was doing my best to ignore. I wore my walking shoes, but I don't think they were up to the task. sigh. Next time. Shopping was fun. We of course went to the big FAO Schwartz store. That's where the big piano from the move Big is. And no I didn't play on it. There was a line comprised totally of little kids and they'd let like 3 or 4 stomp around on it at a time. It was pretty obviously not a grown up thing to do. Then some of the workers would do the whole duet scene from Big, you know the one where Tom Hanks and his boss play chopsticks. It must be harder than the movie makes it look. Glad I didn't attempt it. Not that I can even play chopsticks on a regular piano. I can do a pretty terrible rendition of "Happy Birthday" however. They had a little Harry Potter store inside so we got Nick his very own Gryffindor tie. He thought that was pretty cool.
For Madison we went to American Girl Place to get her present. She loves American girl dolls. (she has three already)What a zoo! That place was crazy. It was like three stories and packed with little girls and their overwhelmed parents. They even had a doll boutique were you could get your doll's hair done. Starting prices were like $20 and the wait was 2 1/2 hours, unless you had a reservation. Are you kidding me? Madison was like (picture hands on hips, full attitude)"You better believe we'll be getting my doll's hair done if I ever get to go." I'm choosing to believe she said "doll's hair" (singular) as opposed to "dolls' hair" (plural).
The Toys R Us is so big, they have a Ferris wheel inside. We just got Zach some Cars building blocks. I'm sure you could get them at any Toys R Us, Target, or Wal-Mart, but we just didn't know what the dickens to get the kid. We didn't think he'd get that thrilled over a t-shirt or anything.
So here's a funny story. In Times Square they have this whole Hershey's store. Everything Hershey. Even bubble bath. Being the chocoholic that I am it was a matter of principle that we went in. I picked up a little white teddy bear dressed as the Statue of Liberty and it had a little bag of Hershey's kisses with it for Christopher. I also picked up a tin of kisses for the kids to share. All the little tags on the kisses said a bunch of different things like "i love you" or "thank you" among others. For myself I also picked out a half pound Hershey bar. It said "Times Square" right under the word "HERSHEY'S". Believe it or not I just planned to keep it. I am a chocoholic, however unless the situation becomes desperate, I have more refined tastes when it comes to chocolate. (I found a really good little chocolate store near the skating rink at Rockefeller Center. I got like 7-8 small pieces, and nearly choked when it came to $16. I neglected to notice that they were charging $75 a pound. John noticed. He didn't pick out anything for himself.) So remember I planned to keep the bar just because? (who knows how long it really would have lasted, I think it would have driven the kids nuts to have chocolate you can't eat-they are my children afterall). I just finished showing the kids the spoils of my trip and handed out their presents when I turned my back just long enough to let Christopher rip the wrapper into like 3 pieces. I snatched it away and carefully taped it back together and put it somewhere where I thought was safe. The next day I was sitting right here checking my e-mail, etc. and Christopher comes waltzing out of my bedroom, totally casual-like.See all the little nibble marks? It's as big as he is. Can't say I blame him though. He is my child after all. I still have the wrapper, but it will probably be in the trash by the end of the week.
At one point we stepped out of the subway and it was like being in another country without realizing you had even left. I still haven't been able to figure out what was going on, but we literally found ourselves right in the middle of a parade. A small parade as parades go, but still. There were the Chinese dragons (three that we saw) guys playing drums, and a procession of flags. The dragons would stop at each of the shops and go inside. Some of the shop owners were hanging produce outside their shops as well. (totally couldn't figure that one out) I thought maybe it was a Chinese New Year celebration, but this was on the 17th, and according to the internet (I checked my facts on this one) Chinese New Year started the 7th and ended the 15th. So who knows? It was still pretty cool. Then you turned the corner and suddenly you are in Italy. Well, Little Italy is not quite like being in Italy but they had really good pizza and cannolis. Another place we liked to eat was this diner down the street from our hotel. The Stardust? I think? All the wait staff are Broadway hopefulls and they take turns perfoming while you eat (and sometimes while they are serving at the same time)
That's our waiter doing a duet just before we left. We made sure to stick around until he sang. Make him really earn his tip. That place always has a line, but we happened to show up at a slow time. (10 minutes before they quit serving breakfast)We somehow managed to stay on Mountain Standard time, so we slept in and just stayed up really late. Here's just some random pictures I found amusing or interesting or whatever.
Even the Police Department in Times Square has flashing Neon Lights. I just found the name of the bank amusing. If only we had more time. That's Macy's. The red sign is advertising this particular one as the "World's Largest Store". I'm sure if I had three weeks I still wouldn't have been able to do everything. I guess I'll just have to go back! (although I doubt if I will be forgiven as easily if I leave the kids home a second time) THE END.

No comments: