Nick had the opportunity to perform this weekend in the school district's honors orchestra performance. He was so excited. He's been playing the viola for two years now and loves it, and when the opportunity came to try out for this orchestra, he couldn't pass it up.
On the day of the try-outs he was pretty nervous, and thought the sight reading was really hard, and for the rest of the day while waiting for the results to be posted on-line, he was completely worthless. I tried to get him to focus all that nervous energy on housework, and told him time would pass quicker if he was busy, and I think he believed me, but I still didn't get much work out of him.
He made it, of course (I doubt I'd be blogging about it otherwise, unless some fantastic lesson was learned in the process) and was one of only 2 kids in his whole school to make the orchestra. (There were a small handful that made the honors band as well.)
So for the past few weeks he has been practicing, and I have been driving him to and from practice sessions at a high school several miles away, and finally the big day came last Saturday.
They were pretty fantastic. It was exponentially better than some of the other elementary school orchestra concerts I've sat through in the past couple of years. (sorry, Nick, but it's true- listening to kids who've only been playing those instruments for only the past few weeks or even months, can at times, be downright painful)
It's nice to see a measure of success on his part, especially since only 4 months ago his viola teacher was threatening to drop him as a student for lack of any effort from him.

No comments:
Post a Comment