Saturday, April 11, 2009

John's latest trip


Despite his best efforts to get out of it, John found himself on board ChinaAir headed to Malaysia with a quick layover in Taiwan this last week. I wasn't that upset about not going.

We picked him up from the airport this morning and he had a few interesting stories to tell, but overall he'd rather have just stayed home. He said he ended up traveling over 19,000 miles in four days.

He said it reminded him of Hawaii, but Hawaii is so much more prettier and closer. There's a huge Muslim population there, and they didn't like having their picture taken, so he'd get yelled at any time he'd try and take a picture of anything.

Hands down the funniest/saddest thing to happen was when he was in a little shop picking out some souvenirs. The conversation with the shop girl went something like this-

"You American?"

"Yes."

"You take me to America. I be your wife!"

"Um, no thanks. I already have one."

"That's okay. You have two. You take me to America!"

I'm sure he let her down as politely as he could, but I have to wonder what her life was like to beg some random stranger to take her away from the only home and she has ever known.

I keep mulling over the possibilities of another "wife". I'd let her do all the cleaning.

No comments: