So my little Christopher can be the sweetest thing. Today is not one of those days. I promised myself that I would only use my blog for good instead of evil, and do my best to not use it as a place to vent my frustrations for the day. You know, messy rooms, bad grades, etc. etc. Should my children read this, I want them to have no doubt in their minds that I love them and think the world of them. That said, I'm taking a pass on that today,at least with my darling, sweet baby because what nearly two year old doesn't try your patience on a daily basis? Today is no exception.
First, a little background. When Zach was 2 he didn't talk. I would literally dream he would say "mommy" and then when I woke up I would cry because I realized it was just a dream and my little boy wouldn't even say that much. This went on til he was about 3 then the words started coming, slowly but surely. I think at 3 he would say like 4 words. Somewhere around 2 1/2 years I started teaching him sign language. He caught on quick, and life was easier. A friend of mine teaches all her babies just because it's actually easier than talking and it cuts down on the crying and temper tantrums because they can actually communicate with you. So now we are working on Christopher. "Please" is a good word to start with, because they can use it all day long. It's a simple motion where you rub your chest. Of course with babies anything in the torso range is generally fine. Christopher's got it down and when he gets really excited about something, like he wants me to open a piece of candy, he'll rub his belly with both hands.
I have mentioned before that Blues Clues is his favorite show, (and thank heavens for the DVR so I don't have to hunt down DVD's, they aren't so popular these days, although we have tapes and dvd's left over from the other kids, but at least I get to watch something new) So last night he wants to watch TV. I ask for his 'please' and he throws a total temper tantrum. This little dance went on for like 2 hours. I'd tell him to say please, even remind him what the hand motion is, and he would shake his head, cry, cover his face with his hands, and/or throw himself to the ground. I'd leave, and come back when he was calm and we'd try again. At one point he was sitting on his bean bag, in front of the TV, with his blankie, and his sippy (more on that) in the dark , in front of the TV just staring at the blank screen. Still no "please". Today it's the same story. You might be thinking that this is good, and TV rots their brains anyway, and yes I pretty much agree. Except he has taken to ripping apart my house. Emptying the pantry, book cases, the game closet. He's also messing with all the electronic equipment trying to see if he can bypass me and just do it himself. Fortunately one of the other kids already broke the power button off the TV ages ago, so you have to use the remote. And I admit to wishing I could just give in and turn on the electronic babysitter so I can go clean up some of the other parts of the house he has already terrorized.
I mentioned the sippy cup a bit ago. That is a battle I think we finally won. (knock on wood) We've been working on making the transition from bottle for ages now, but it's been a nightmare. We've bought several different kinds, and even though they are "spill-proof" he finds a way around that, ripping the lids off the semi-disposable cups, etc. etc. the list goes on. Every kind we offer him, he either finds a way to dump it all out, make a giant mess somehow, or flat out refuses it, then goes like a whole day without drinking anything. So we'd give up for a short while, but he's been making giant messes as well with the bottles. Biting through the nipples, holding it upside down so it can drip all over the front room furniture, the list goes on, and on. Finally, we re-introduced the playtex kind, with the screw on lid, and the separate valve inside the lid, probably one of the more expensive kinds, and there have been no problems for like 48 hours. So yay! At least that's one battle won. (knock on wood- my kids have a habit of making a liar out of me)
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I believe I was on the phone to witness one of his meltdowns. Gotta love him! I think you throw all rules out the door until John is home and let him deal with it!!
(Just kidding John!)
Barrett still likes to empty out the game closet, but he usually leaves the pantry alone because these days he's more into "washing the dishes" and getting water everywhere. We did some sign language with him too since he was a late talker, although not as late Zach, just compared to his sisters.
HI Kirsten!! Love the blog! Remember these posts are what keeps it all real, for us anyways! - my kids hit it at age 3!
Post a Comment