Basically I got tired of getting "that look". It never fails. I'd be out with friends or people in general and it's like you could tell they were either fishing for something to talk about (am I that boring?) or they were so excited about something and needed to talk about it, they'd turn to me with that look of anticipation and ask "So! do you watch American Idol?" You could just read all the possibilities of topics running across their minds.
"who do you want to win?"
"who do you think is going to win?"
"what do you think about this person?"
"what do you think about that person?"
"what did you think about ____ getting voted off last night?"
And all I'd have for them was, "uh no, sorry. I'm not really into that."
And then I'd get this look, like "well, now what are we supposed to talk about?!?"
I think last year I gave it a bit of a shot, but I couldn't handle Sanjaya (sp?)One word. CREEPY. so I didn't try again. And I'm totally up for watching the tryouts, (who isn't?) but I think I've managed to only catch 5 or 10 minutes here and there over the past few years. To be honest, a month ago, I couldn't even tell you what night of the week it was on.
So like a month ago. I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd at least record it, then sometime during the next day or days I could fast forward through all those commercials, and then I wouldn't be (quite) the social outcast. And so yeah, it didn't take too long to get hooked. I'm not really gonna go into what I thought, and all that jazz, I liked both the Davids. I thought they were both cute and deserved to win. I won't be disparaging any of the other contestants (I've totally learned my lesson with the whole Clay Aiken/Spamalot thing. I kept the comments on that blog post from the rabid fan because it was funny to me, but changed all my settings so that my blog won't pop up on random google searches anymore.) However, some fans are just
So tonight, at like 7:30 I realized the finals were on, but hadn't watched last night's show. So I asked the kids if they were interested (heck yeah!) and offered to let them just watch tonight's or last night's first. We watched last night's together. Then tonight's. Even though I skipped through the commercials, I still let the kids stay up til ten to see the results, and this is literally what happened.
"And the winner is..."
And that's it. That's where the recording stopped! AAAAARRRGGGHHH! It's seriously ten o'clock at night, and the three of us (me, Nick and Maddie) are totally freaking out, because the recording stopped!
"Call someone!" they screamed at me!
"Who?!?! It's ten o'clock at night!"
Thank heavens for the internet. someone might have gotten a frantic phone call late at night because I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

4 comments:
I have never seen American Idol so I get your pre AI feelings/reactions. I did know 2 David's were the finalists. Who did win? Were you excited?
David Cook won. I would have been happy with either. They were both really talented and I hear that second place is a fantastic spot to be in. David Archuletta is from Murray, Utah (practically my hometown) It's like Higley and Gilbert, and I hear he's LDS, he's a cute kid. But I really liked David Cook too- story goes that he was just there to support his brother, and had no intention of auditioning, but ended up doing it anyway.
The exact same thing happened to me. What the heck is wrong with a TiVo system that drops the ending or even the very beginning (this happens with The Office all the time).
I have not been a huge American Idol fan ever, but I checked it out about a month ago and I really liked all of the people on the show then. I really loved both of the Davids, and it was a darn good thing because I didn't really care who won. After the rude ending, I just jumped online and found out it was Cook. Ah, either way, they were both people whose music I would buy.
Welcome out of the closet!
I have to admit, I am one of the very few Americans who has never seen a full episode of American Idol. But I did want David Archuleta to win, just cause he's a hometown guy.
Post a Comment