Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thank you, Nick


I just got home from book club tonight. We read "the ultimate gift." I liked the book, but for once, I hear the movie is better. John is of course, out of town. He's in Colorado this time. There was a time when that would have meant that I would have to miss out on something like book club. I can't tell you how many times that has happened. It's become something to expect almost. I have ____ planned for this day, therefore, John will be out of town. Murphy's law. (If I ever figure out who Murphy is, I'm gonna give him a swift kick in the pants.)

But now, I have a Nick. He's 11 1/2, and is excited to take on more responsibility and is happy to be my right hand. I got to leave for two whole hours, spend time talking and laughing with other women, come home past 10 at night, and find all my babies put to bed and sound asleep. What a blessing. Just today, he asked me, "Mom, do you think I am getting more mature?" So yes, Nick I do. Right now, I can appreciate just how mature you are becoming and I am very grateful for it, and totally wanted to blog about it so that there would be a permanent record out there of what a great kid you are, with just one of the reasons why I appreciate you.

I am loving having a babysitter on hand. I was kinda worried how summer would go with all these kids in the house all day, but (knock on wood) so far it is great! I got to go to Weight Watchers today without Christopher. - Everyone noticed. "Where's Christopher?" they would ask? and not because he's so cute (which he is) but because he is (and I am totally not exaggerating here) the naughtiest child there. I go the one session where you can bring little kids and not get dirty looks. And still I spend more time chasing after him than I do listening. I bring all sorts of toys and bribes and treats, but he doesn't care. There are cabinets to get into and bathrooms to play in and front doors to escape from, and other kids toys and treats to steal as well.

So, thanks, Nick. Thanks for giving me back some of my sanity. Thanks for being such a big help to me, thanks for taking such good care of my other babies, and putting them to bed so that I can feel like I can go out every once in awhile. And at the risk of sounding totally embarrassing and mushy- I love you!

2 comments:

Rees Family said...

So jealous I could die. I feel like I never get a break and Craig is always in town. Crazy. That Nick is getting so mature. I can't believe what a good little babysitter he is. Did he have the dishes done, the laundry folded, and the carpets vacuumed? Now that is how I'm training Emily. One day I will experience freedom at no babysitting cost (ah hem $10 an hour). Really really can't wait.

Jill P. said...

I'm sooo looking forward to Blythe being old enough to babysit. Right now I don't stress if I'm not home when the girls get home from school because Blythe is responsible enough to keep Brynne out of trouble for 15 minutes. That's so great that Nick even got the kids in bed and asleep for you!