Saturday, June 21, 2008

Rothenburg


One of the funnest little places to visit in Germany is Rothenberg. It's this really well preserved little medieval town that's now a fun stop for tourists. At one point it was a rich, prosperous place because of it's position on the trade route, but trains, wars, and the plague took it's toll, and there the town sat, untouched by progress for like 250 years. Now once again, it's prosperous, but this time it's tourism that does that, ironically enough because it was ignored for so many years. It was a fun little town full of crazy, crooked, narrow, cobblestone roads, original buildings that date back hundreds of years. It has all the charm you'd expect of a little town like this. We ate and shopped, and checked out the sights, and took a tour from the nightwatchman. We liked it so much we checked into a hotel and stayed the night.



1 comment:

Jessica said...

What a fabulous trip! I haven't been blogging much lately, so I hadn't realized you were in Europe. Looks like you guys are having a blast! I've done London and Paris, but I really want to go to Germany. We missed you guys at the family reunion today! But I'm sure you didn't miss us :)