Friday, June 13, 2008

You get what you pay for

We made it to London, but lost a whole day. Our plane finally took off at 9:00 last night (Arizona time) and we landed about 3:30 pm London time. Part of the delay (we landed two and a half hours later than we thought we would) was because the Royal Air force was using the airport for something or other to practice for the Queen's birthday tomorrow. Not that we saw anything though. It was the biggest plane either John and I had been on. It even had stairs in it! But we didn't get to go up there, that was for first class. We sat at the back of the plane. We were able to sleep most of the way, thanks to Nancy's suggestion we get some Ambien.

Going through customs took awhile, but I am very excited to get my very first stamp in my passport! I am an official world traveler. woo-hoo! We took a shuttle bus to the hotel, and it took awhile, but it was fun. The driver was entertaining, and had strong opinions about rival football (soccer) teams. Plus we got to see a lot of London.

Somehow we managed to get the hotel in London for free because they were having a special when we bought the plane tickets. When we walked into the room, this is what we found-

Aack! twin beds!?!? John has since pushed them together, and moved that little nightstand, but I told him I'm not sleeping in the crack. I'm not the one who has to cuddle all the time. We can't even complain cause it's free. I guess we could pay for an upgrade, but...we'd rather spend our money on other stuff. Plus, they don't give you a card key here, you have a real key attached to a foot long metal rod and you have to check it in and out of the hotel front desk every time you come and go. Weird.

Even though we got here so stinking late in the day, we still managed to do a couple little things. Well one really, we went for a walk for an hour or so, but everything closes early here. Here's some pictures I took-

This was Charles Dicken's house for awhile, and now it's a museum devoted to the author. It was closed by the time we got there.Not far from here was King's Cross Station. We got these really good meat pies or "pasties" as the locals call them. Waaaaaay yummy.

Looking forward to a LOOOOOONG day of sightseeing tomorrow! And Les Mis! Love you kids, and talk to you soon! Love, Mom

3 comments:

STACEY said...

Free hotel room ...YEA! You probably won't spend much time there anyway. So jealous you got a pic at platform 9 3/4. Keep havin' FUN!

Jill P. said...

I LOVE London!!! I'm so excited to just see your photos. It's been 9 years since I've been there and it will probably be that long before I get back there. Have a great time. Eats lots of Cadbury chocolate and eat a rhubarb yogurt for me (but only if you want to)!

Kirsten said...

mom i love the picture of platform nine and three quarters. i hope you have a wonderful day and have a lot of sights to see tomorow.

love your oldest son