Monday, June 9, 2008

Two year olds are fun.

We had to change the locks on our front door today. It's not that we had a problem with them, or with people breaking in, it's that we were more worried about people breaking out.

Somehow we started noticing that Christopher has shot up recently. He used to only reach the bottom of all the light switches, and would turn off all the lights and fans in the house, now he easily turns on all the lights as well. And can reach farther in on the counters and make bigger messes, or walk around with knives that I thought were "safe" from his grasp. It's fun. It took me a few days of walking into rooms, wondering why the lights were on, before I put 2 and 2 together.

The doctor confirmed our worst suspicions this morning. He's at the 97 percentile for height. I think that's a record for my kids. Height runs in my family, and I want my boys to be tall, but at this age being taller just means you can get into more stuff. yay.

Back to the changing of the locks. We always keep the front door locked, mostly to keep Christopher from running into the street and getting hit by a car. (and believe me, I swear he's tried) It's not a bad neighborhood or anything, but as a general rule we keep the doors locked because, well, because you never know who or what is lurking out there. So, the door is locked, which means the latch is straight up and down, and to unlock the deadbolt, you turn it to the right so that it's horizontal. -It's not rocket science, but you have to hear a click.

Madison has a friend over, and her mom came to pick her up. I am elbow deep in dishwater, and it takes a few seconds to dry off. By the time I get to the door, it's open, my friend the other mom is standing there, and it appears Christopher has answered the door. What?! Christopher answered the door? But, it was locked! He shouldn't be able to do that! It was pretty scary realizing that at any given moment my two year old had the ability and the know how to go get himself run over, and I wouldn't even have known until after.

John was at Home Depot within the hour. Now you have to unlock it with a key. Oh goody. I never lose those.

No comments: