I think my all-time favorite Christmas movie has to be A Christmas Story. I find it totally hilarious. I remember as a kid my brother and I laughing until we cried at the Christmas dinner scene in the Chinese restaurant. To this day I have this very obnoxious (and very un-PC) urge to sing "Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra" whenever I hear that that song Hark! The Harald Angels Sing. (Instead of Fa-la-la-la...). Mostly I control that urge. Mostly. 
Elf has got to be a new Classic around here. I still laugh every time I watch it. I know what's going to happen. I know that he's going to try and put that star on the tree by catapulting off the couch and the tree is going to fall down, still, I laugh. I'm not generally a Will Ferrell fan, but I kind of think he's a comedic genius in Elf.

I had a first the other night and watched a movie I had never seen before- It's a Wonderful Life. I think I'm officially the last person on the planet to see that movie. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say "Every year we watch It's a Wonderful Life at Christmas time, and I always cry at the end." And then I would secretly mock them in my head. No, not really. Because that would make me a hypocrite, and if there's anything I dislike more than crying at movies or books, it's being a hypocrite, and since I am already guilty of one of those...
I have seen parts of it before. Like the part where the old man is smacking young George and his ear starts bleeding. I remember thinking "What a terrible movie! Why do people like this movie?!" I've also caught the very end on TV, when all the people are giving him money, and I knew the basic premise to the story - for some reason he wishes he were never born, so an angel comes down and shows him how terrible life would be for all the people he loved if he were never born, and he has a change of heart.
I bought the movie last year, but our only DVD player was retarded and apparently very snobbish, and it would refuse to play certain perfectly good DVD's. Brand new out of the package even. We're not talking about the much used and abused CARS DVD or anything. Brand-spanking-shiny-new DVD's. So the movie got shelved, until some future date. The other night John was out of town, and I had intentions of staying up late and making yet another batch of caramels, but I really didn't feel like it and then I remembered that movie. So I watched it instead. And I was very glad no one was around to see me cry.

3 comments:
You sound like me, I hate to cry in front of people, and I sort of don't like sappy movies anyway, but give me a truly heartwarming moving movie like It's a Wonderful Life, and you would see a few tears from this girl ( especially if I was alone).
If it makes you feel any better, I haven't ever seen It's a wonderful life either, and think this might be ther year. I love your other two choices-
I love It's A Wonderful Life. I think a lot of people don't watch it because it's old but it is a great movie. I love A Christmas Story too:)
Post a Comment