
I did another Art Masterpiece lesson in Nick's class today. This month was MC Escher. He was somewhat of a household name growing up for me. We just liked his stuff. It's fun to look at. I think my dad and brothers all have MC Escher inspired ties for church. We're not totally ga-ga over him, but still enjoyed his work all the same.
So I was pretty excited to talk about him today. To tell you the truth, I somewhat assumed he was a household name for everybody. So I say "Raise your hand, who here has ever heard of MC Escher?"
"Who?" a girl asks, "MC Hammer?"
I laughed and for one brief moment (very brief, almost non-existent) wished I had remembered the hand gestures for "Too Legit"
"Sure," I say, "who here has ever heard of MC Hammer?"
A few hands go up, but mostly I get blank stares.
"Okay then, how about MC Escher?"
Still only a few hands and mostly blank stares, although many kids admitted to thinking the picture looked familiar (cause it hung on the walls of the school for a few years most likely)
On a side note, I was flipping through a book and looking at some of his other works, and I came across this picture-
And I had this total flashback of something I had forgotten when I was a teenager- I had gone to an art exhibit featuring his work, and picked up this print at the gift shop. I looked at the eyball with the skull in the center of it, and wondered what possessed me to purchase that one? Of all the other thousands of drawings he did, why this one?One other small tidbit of info is that his father came up with a mathematical equation to find the perfect wife. W=1/2M + 10. If W= age of the woman, and M = the age of the man. So a 20 year old guy should marry another 20 year old, but a 30 year old man needs to marry a 25 year old, and that age gap gets bigger over time.

2 comments:
I loved teaching Escher last year. I would love to come to your class too and eat cookies! Next time you will have to bring in a fig newton snack size just for that particular boy and see if he likes it better than your homemade. I don't know anyone who would pass up your homemade anthing!
We have the top "MC Hammer" drawing you posted hanging in our office. Jeff loves MC Escher.
That woman's age calculation is hilarious. Maybe we need to come up with a calculation going the opposite way!
Post a Comment