I was woken up this morning to the sound of Madison's sweet little voice, "Mommy, time to get up. Breakfast is ready." I groaned inwardly as I rolled over to look at the alarm clock. Nine am? Seriously? I was too tired for it to be that late. I had had a rough night with Christopher. We are at this terrible stage where if he takes a nap in the afternoon, he is going to be up late. Well last night as John and I walked into the kitchen we found Christopher asleep on the tile floor. After a three hour nap, he was fired up and ready to go. He went to bed sometime around 2:00. Ugh. So I lay there with my eyes closed having an internal debate with myself, "I'd rather sleep. I don't care about breakfast. John made french toast yesterday anyway. I'd happily eat cold cereal for another hour of sleep...It is 9:00, I already did get to sleep in, and we have to get ready for church... " And then I smelled it. The best smell in the whole world, the smell of bacon in the morning. I wouldn't be able to sleep now if I tried.
I sat there eating my bacon, feeling totally spoiled and thought about last weekend when I felt the same way. Last Saturday night John was heading off to the grocery store and wanted to know what I had planned for dinner the next night. John was going out of town the next morning, and wanted to make sure he was leaving us with enough to get by until I made it to the store. Meal planning being a total weakness of mine, I had nothing planned, and the fact that I was still totally stuffed from dinner, nothing sounded good anyway. "I don't care," I said. "Whatever". So John took Madison to the store and she picked out a box of frozen chicken cordon bleu.
The next day I came home from church exhausted. I thought "I'll just lay down for a few minutes..." Next thing I know (2 hours later) Nick is standing over me, "Mom, dinner is ready. I made it all by myself." I went downstairs to find the table set, and the chicken ready, and peas and corn to go with it. He even said "If you look closely you can see the little holes where I used the thermometer to make sure each one was 165 degrees." It's enough to make a mom cry.
Spoiled? Not me.
Like Father, Like Son

3 comments:
That is so sweet! Aren't you lucky
so so sweet.
What great guys! Blythe likes to make breakfast, but hasn't attempted dinner yet other than Mac 'n Cheese.
Post a Comment