Tuesday, January 13, 2009

why you didn't see me on American Idol tonight

This is the first year I have actually made an attempt to watch American Idol from day one. I didn't actually get into it until way late in the season last year, so the kids and I are starting off right this year. We even have the DVR set in case we miss something.

Tonight they were showing the results from the tryouts here in Arizona last summer, and the kids and I naturally started discussing the tryouts. Both Madison and Nick are disappointed that you can't try out until you are 16 and Madison asked me the question "If I tried out, do you think I'd make it?" Absolutely, I replied.

At some point my kids were insisting that I had a fabulous singing voice and that I would definitely make it if I were to try out. (They're so sweet) Nick tends to get upset if I discuss my lack of ability in that area, and passes it off as stage fright and nothing more, so I gave him another reason that satisfied him better.

I explained how the contestants have to be away from their families for a long period of time, and that is just not something I am willing to do.

However, the real story is this- One horrible audition is enough for me. I've had a pretty good grasp on the reality of my singing ability my whole life. I think when I was 5 or so I wanted to be a rock star, but reality set in, and I was okay with that. Truth is, I don't really care for the attention anyway. (That stage fright thing)

However, when I was a senior in high school all my friends were in concert choir. And that year concert choir was going to perform at Disneyland. So many of my friends would comment that it was too bad that I wasn't going to go, and that I should try out, and there was no way I could be as bad as the girl sitting next to them, and so on, and so on. They were relentless. And I ♥ Disneyland. And so I tried out.

It was awful. The teacher must listen to hundreds of kids try out for choir each year, (It was a big school, over 2,000 kids) and he still couldn't keep that pained look off his face. His words were (and I quote exactly, because it will forever be etched into my brain) "Not only can I not let you into Concert Choir, I can't even put in Junior Choir. All I can do for you is put you in Sophomore Girl's Chorus." (There was no freshman chorus- it was a 10-12 school) Alas, I needed the art credit. Instead of going to Disneyland I spent the year listening to girls talk about driver's ed.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

that is such a funny story. i love that your kids have such belief in you. my kids would laugh at me if i said i was going to try out.

Unknown said...

FYI I DID tryout this year. I had to sit through bikini girls aweful audition and watch her strut around all day. It was an interesting expirience but nothing like you see on tv. My kids had complete faith in me too, they thought I was going to be on last night and thought I WAS the next AI. At least I will always be famous in their eyes!

Kirsten said...

Tricia- you'll always be a superstar in my book.

Lisa said...

Kirsten, I didn't know you could sing! Then again I just met you. lol I watch AI too, but I missed the Phx episode.