It's fun to see pictures people might post, and I like reading up about what is going on in their lives. Some people share every little detail of their day, and others just share the more interesting/sad/funny/exciting details of their lives. Through facebook I learned a friend of mine is joining the Peace Corps and moving to Timbuktu this summer. One friend is running for Mayor of West Valley City, Utah. One was agonizing over the decision to move her family to China for the next several years. Others share the exciting news of their pregnancies/births of new babies, or the loss of loved ones in their lives.
That's the stuff I enjoy the most, taking a moment to read the little details people want to share with me (and the rest of their friends on facebook). I don't share a whole lot- I still use blogger as my major medium to share the details of my life. I tend to be very long winded, and the things I have to say might fit into the "unabridged" category while facebook tends to be the "readers digest" super condensed version. My philosophy tends to lean towards, Why say in one sentence when you can devote several paragraphs to the topic? Besides that, the little box where you update your status on facebook used to say "What are you doing right now?" And I had to resist the urge to write "Kirsten Hall Berrett is obviously wasting time on facebook" because that's what I was doing at that moment. "Avoiding doing housework" is another favorite. (and I feel dumb repeating myself, and I'd like to come up with something more creative to say, but the reality is, that is what I am doing. I am sitting at the computer, because I am procrastinating doing the laundry or the dishes or whatever)
Of course there's a million ways you can waste time on facebook- there are like a bazillion quizzes to take in which you can find out useless things like what kind of shoe you are, or what 80's song you are, or what color your aura is, or what kind of car you are, or what kind of cereal you are. And no I am not kidding or exaggerating in any way. I took the "what kind of chocolate are you?" one, a long time ago, and it asks you a series of dumb questions about your personality, then matches you with a candy bar. Just in case anyone is wondering I am a Snicker's bar. Oh, and I'm also a superhero I never heard of (Melt?) I was hoping to be Wonder Woman, or Super Girl, they rock.
A new trend I've been noticing is to become a fan of stuff. That isn't really a real time waster, but it can get a little bit ridiculous. I am a fan of Jane Austen, Les Miserables, Wicked, Manchester United, Thomas S. Monson, the Mesa Temple, Sunshine, and Laughing (and probably a few others).
Lately I've been seeing things crop up like Saturdays, Sleeping, and this morning I saw Barack's watch. Yes, folks, you too can be a fan of Obama's watch. Really? Who wastes their time coming up with this stuff? It looks like a normal watch to me. Sure it only takes a second for me to click on "become a fan of sleeping!", but who felt a need to create a page and fan club dedicated to sleeping? And once I get started on that train of thought, I start wondering who comes up with the quizzes? And how do they come up with those questions and decide that winter being your favorite season means that if you were a car you'd be a Volvo? And then I realized I've just wasted five minutes pondering the quizzes on facebook, and I still don't even know what kind of car I am.
~~~
and on a totally unrelated note, the other day I realized I had posted like 5 things to my blog, but not one single picture- so I went back and added some to the previous two posts, just in case anyone is interested you can scroll down and check em out- which is also why I reposted the picture of me in my super girl outfit- that and as it is the only piece of evidence I own proving I had flat abs at one point in my life, I need to get as much mileage out of it as I can. Maybe I should use it as my facebook profile pic- my current one is another fave from my childhood.

3 comments:
I have mixed feelings about facebook too. I'm loving those pictures!
yeah, i was torn for a while and finally decided that facebook was no good for me.
Facebook, bah! It's the only place my brother will talk to me, otherwise it's useless. Figure out who makes up those stupid quizzes and have them flogged for me would ya? I lost a very excellent blogger to those quizzes. I think she's taken every. single. stinkin'. one.
Post a Comment