Sunday, July 26, 2009

food finds

I've had the fortune to find a few new gems in this city of places to find some good food.
The first one was the German Bakery I mentioned in my last post. All sorts of breads, pretzels, filled donuts, etc. They even had a bunch of imported German grocery items including spicy mustard and a bunch of candy. We totally loaded up. The people working there were super nice and threw some extra candy into a bag and handed it to Christopher to share with the others. (He had a hard time with that concept- he wanted it all to himself.)
The next place I didn't exactly find- I was told about it by a few different people. There is this Belgian Waffle and fry place by Pioneer Park. Bruges. Holy Cow. So yummy. I was warned though, that if I ordered fries, they are called Pomme Frites. And DEFINITELY do not call them French Fries. The guy who runs the place is a transplant from Bruges, Belgium and apparently gets really cranky if you say the wrong thing. (Think the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld)
The Frites were amazing, and the seasoned mayo was delish. As for the waffles- Holy Freakin' Cow. I think I will have to make one last trip down there again before I leave. The waffles are so good they can be eaten plain, but I chose to have them served with strawberries and chocolate.
The last place is the London Market. They have a bunch of English imported stuff there. (story time!...) When we were in Europe last year, I ran into a convenience store to grab a drink or something and picked up a candy bar for fun. "When in Rome" I figured. It was seriously one of the best candy bars I had ever had. Like a Kit Kat and a Twix and a Nestle Crunch got married and had a baby and named it a Lion bar. We found that particular candy bar when we were in San Francisco and brought some home to share. My bros claimed it was "hands down the best candy bar they'd ever had". I'd have to agree with them. And so do my kids. Tom (one of my brothers) mentioned the London Market downtown and we went to check it out. I need to do some research in Phoenix and see if I can find some similar gems there.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I am already in love with that Belgian waffle place, and I've heard about the London market, but I'll definitely have to check out the German bakery!