Back in the day when I was away at college I took a psych 101 class. I liked that class. Learned a few interesting things. I might have considered psychology as a profession if it didn't mean going to school FOREVER and then not really being able to make any money. (at least for quite awhile)
Anyway- the point to my rambling- there's this concept where you can change behavior through negative reinforcement- like pain.
So as I was hobbling down the stairs tonight the thought occurred to me that maybe, just maybe I could use it to my advantage. As my butt and thighs protested each painful step down the stairs, I would try to associate the pain with something that got me in this predicament-
step (ow!) chocolate!
step (ow!) cookies!
step (ow!) creme brulee!
step (ow!) french fries!
step (ow!) Coke!
You get the idea.
Of course food isn't all to blame. I mean I'm really not a total glutton. I don't eat junk all day. Cutting junk out of my diet hasn't been too difficult so far. (two whole days) What I really miss most is bread (and I'm not talking about white bread- but a nice hearty piece of whole wheat bread). I like to believe that if I was more diligent about getting in exercise each and every day, the chocolate wouldn't be so apparent on my hips.
So next time I brave the stairs I'm going to throw in a few of my other vices for good measure hoping that maybe, just maybe, my subconscious will register it and produce the desired effects.
step (ow!) Netflix!
step (ow!) pizza!
step (ow!) facebook!
step (ow!) cinnamon bears!
This is the hardest one for me to say-
step (ow!) reading!
Or maybe I should just learn a little moderation and not spend entire days reading? But where's the fun in that?
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just read this: after running a marathon your legs hurt, to ease some of the pain caused when using the stairs try going down backward. Don't know if this will help, but its worth a try. And keep up the good work.
thanks nancy. I just tried it. unfortunately that last workout targeted every inch of my legs and butt for a full hour. up, down, backwards, forwards, it all hurts. just differently. different muscles, different pains. at least now I have choices. Ü
Post a Comment