I had fun tonight adding music to my blog, most of it is just stuff that makes me smile. Unfortunately it wasn't the most comprehensive list that I had to choose from, and I am not sure how (or if) I can add music from other places (itunes, my own CD's or hard drive) so there were a bunch I should have liked to add. So I will probably add and/or delete as impulse strikes me.
Since this is my blog I'd like to take the opportunity to talk about some of the music I put on and why it makes me happy. For starters, I love Harry Connick, Jr. If I weren't happily married and he wasn't married to a Victoria's Secret model I would be stalking him. He will probably always be on that list. I've seen him in concert a few times, and hope at least one of my kids will be a piano prodigy as well some day. (or at least be able to play me some of his music.) I prefer the big band stuff mostly. Back before the days of e-bay, John chased down a really hard to find import for me cause there was a CD out there I didn't have. (That's love for ya baby) I worked in a music store for several years and was always on the search for that thing.
I totally missed the bandwagon on Wicked when it came here to AZ, but after seeing it in New York, I am in love. I have several favorite songs, but one that makes me laugh is "Popular". It just makes me laugh because I have tons of experience being on the other end of that, my prettier and more popular friends wanting to make-over me. I generally welcomed it however, just because I knew my own limits and am not likely to change on my own. Then I'd stick my hair back in my ponytail and go back to being me.
Les Miserables has been a favorite for years, since a good friend of mine first introduced me to it. After hearing the music (on a cassette tape) I stood outside (again, back before the internet- I think I was 15) for HOURS (I think 8) in February in Utah at the Capitol Theater (still my very favorite theater) we got awful seats, but it was so worth it. I've probably seen it half a dozen times since, read the 2000 page book (it took 7 years, no exaggeration) and I still bawl my eyes out when Valjean dies. I picked the song "on my own" for a couple reasons, firstly, my choices were limited, a couple of my favorite songs are a little on the raunchy side (Master of the House) and thirdly, as a teenager I totally identified with that song. The whole unrequited love thing rang a little too true.
I think Simon and Garfunkel was my very first favorite band. No kidding. I think I was in the 5th grade before I realized they still made new music. I don't know if I thought that it was a passing fad particular to the fifties and sixties, or if the radio dial was frozen in one place and there was only one radio station. Consequently I grew up with the sounds of the Beatles, Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Simon and Garfunkel, Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Righteous Brothers, amongst so many others. I remember this one time some friends of mine (6th grade?) were playing a game where you had to sing along to whatever song came on the radio next, I made them change the radio station when it was my turn because I had NO HOPE. (the first song I ever remember hearing when I did move that dial was "We built this city on rock and roll" -I think that's the title anyways. It was totally the coolest. That and my then best friend Michelle, was into A-Ha. She made me learn some of the songs so I could sing backup.)
(side note, totally unrelated to this particular post. I am upstairs typing and Christopher keeps climbing up the stairs to feed me. Ew gross, I know, but with four kids, gross becomes relative. I'm more worried about the mess that may or may not be downstairs. The strawberries from dessert I didn't mind so much, but I'm a little more worried about the piece of baked potato. (I thought I cleaned up from dinner already? )
I can't really remember what other songs I put on so they must not be too important or have some significant meaning to them. most likely they just make me smile.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Cool music!! I also love your bookshelf. That is so cool!
Thanks! I've been having fun with it! thanks for talking me into this!
Kirsten- CALL ME!!! I am in desperate need of some Thin Mints. For some strange reason mine are all gone. I'm craving them so badly. Are they selling them at the store on Sat? I don't even think I can wait that long. Yikes!
Great write-up Kirsten. We love similar music.
Post a Comment