Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Grand Canyon

We took advantage of Fall Break and made a trek up to the Grand Canyon yesterday. We made a day of it, and when I talked to a friend of mine, her reaction was "You drove there and back IN ONE DAY?" I guess we could have stayed the night, but there were seven of us, including John's dad, and Christopher doesn't do so well with not sleeping in his own bed. I like the fact his bed has bars and so he can't get out on his own. So we limited ourselves to a day.

We were up pretty early, and tried to get out the door by 6:00, I think we left at 6:30. I think the DVD player in the car is both a blessing and a curse. It entertains the kids pretty well on long road trips, but when the older kids get a say they generally argue about what to watch "High School Musical!!" "Star Wars!!" "Cars!!" They didn't get much of a say on this trip, because Christopher's crying would drown out any movie anyway, so we all watched Blues Clues. Over, and over, and over again. I was grateful I grabbed my headphones at the last minute, and since I was sitting in the back seat with the kids out of adult conversation range, I put on my music and was able to enjoy the ride in my own little world. I know, I know, family bonding and all that, but a person can only handle so much "We are looking for Blue's Clues...." or "He's touching me!!!"

We ate breakfast at a Cracker Barrel in Flagstaff. The kids were all pretty hungry and all four of them ate and ate and ate. (Actually I think we all were a bit guilty of that) We lingered around outside a bit while the kids sat in the rocking chairs, and Zach beat me at a game of Checkers. Nick wanted me to buy him a rocking chair for Christmas. I told him it was either that or a Nintendo DS- he picked the DS.
When we finally made it up to Grand Canyon it was so worth it. The canyon of course it truly impressive, pictures and words never can do it justice. The weather could not have been more perfect. Blue skies, sunshine, slight breeze. The older kids totally appreciated the view, but Christopher didn't care much for it. John held him the entire time, and when he finally wanted to get down it was only to run up the stairs and as far away from the edge as he can get. We think he must be afraid of heights or something.
After a late lunch in a diner in the little town of Williams, we headed home. We made it home in time to show up really, really late to the goodbye party for some good friends and neighbors of ours. They will be really missed.

3 comments:

Thatcher Family said...

Man, I wish we would have known about that party. Oh well. Glad you guys had a fun 1 day trip. I love those!

johnson six said...

When we went to the Grand Canyon it freaked me out to look over the edge, I guess I"m with Christopher.

lilivand said...

Sounds like you had a nice trip! Loved Tobie's hat too.

Just a head's up - City of Ember was awful if you've read the book. I'll have to see what Nick thinks after he see's it.

Hope AM went well!