Thursday, January 22, 2009

Maybe it's just me


Or maybe it's just Target. I don't know. What I do know is that it is nearly impossible to find something to fit my very average sized 9 year old daughter. John said I had these issues when Nick was nine, and I get a very de-ja-vu-ish feeling about it, but I don't really remember.
Anyway, back to my rant. For her birthday last month we gave Madison a couple skirts. Actually Grandma sent us money and we picked out the present, so technically they are from Grandma, but I purchased these two skirts from a friend of mine who was selling them at a Boutique awhile ago. I thought they were very cute, and since Madison gets a lot of her wardrobe from Target, along with many of the other kids around here, I thought something different would be fun. The problem is is that she needed a top to go with them. One skirt was white and black, and the other red and black, so I figured I could just get one black top to go with both. Simple enough, right? Wrong!

Did you know that at Target a Medium is sizes 7-8, and a Large is 10-12? There is nothing in the middle. So I am faced with choosing something for my very average 9 year old that will either also fit 7 year olds, or 12 year olds. This probably wouldn't be difficult if she weren't smack dab in the middle of her size bracket. She's not too small, tall, skinny, or fat. I'm not sure if other stores have this issue, I haven't looked recently.

Of course I picked the "too big" size. I can at least take comfort in the fact that it should fit her for several more years. Maybe I just need to get out more, and expand my current clothing sources past Target and Kohl's. (Kohl's didn't have anything I liked) or maybe Target needs to come up with some kind of Medium-plus size before Zach turns nine. Then again, he's a big boy, maybe we will just jump from 7-8 to 10-12.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

No its not just you. I have a hard time finding clothes at Target that fit Kayla too, especially pants. She normally wears a size 10 in jeans but Targets size 10 jeans are too tight. You could try Walmart, Childrens Place, or JC Penneys to see if they have tops that fit Madison.

johnson six said...

Having three girls, this has always driven me crazy...clue in someone please!

Rachel said...

I feel your frustration! Try a 10 foot tall 12 year old boy whose waist is the size of a quarter. I wish I could sew stuff.

Unknown said...

I've ran into that with Anna!! We should all take sewing lessons~
please tell me that you are taking that FUN gym class while Im gone? I plan on starting up again next week. You interested???

Kirsten said...

Tricia- ummm I would Love to say that I have, but, you know me and classes. However, I might be able to be talked into something (I'm a pushover)

Julie Hunt said...

Amen to your post! I love Target clothes for kids (styles, etc...) but not Target kids sizes.

However, I just purchased some jeans there for me and realized their jeans run big, at least this particular brand, so I was able to get a much smaller size than what I normally am. LOVE THE JEANS! It's all psychological to me! :)