Friday, May 8, 2009

"E" for Effort

John thought he'd surprise me with flowers for Mother's day. They were supposed to come tomorrow. They came yesterday. Not that I get hung up on little details like that, but when you add it to the big picture, the whole thing becomes all the more laughable.

When I ripped open the box, and took a big whiff of what I had hoped would be a heavenly scent, I was disappointed, and couldn't hide the disgust on my face from John's view. I was pretty shocked. They smelled pretty bad. Worse yet, half of them already looked dead. Petals were actually falling off.

I read the directions, carefully cut off an inch of the stems, filled the vase with water, added the flower food, kept them in their plastic sleeve for support while the stems drink the water for the first couple hours, then carefully cut the the green plastic sleeve off and tried to arrange the flowers in a pretty bouquet. Only half of them were already dead and gone, and bent over in half. Their stems all mangled and petals still falling off. Those went directly in the trash. This is what was leftover.-

By this morning (less than 24 hours) they look as if they've been sitting on my table for a week or two.

Poor John. He gets points for trying. At least we can both laugh at those stupid flowers. I told him next year if he insists on getting me something that he can never go wrong with books. Or a gift card to Williams-Sonoma.

I think I should also mention the fact that for an "early mother's day present" he bought me some jewelry in Malaysia, but the necklace broke before I was able to try it on. So in desperation, he pulled out the Godiva gift card he picked up and asked me if I wanted to pick out my own chocolates or did I want to be surprised? Unfortunately my reply was along the lines of "Thanks, that's really sweet, but I'm trying to be good on Weight Watchers right now, I'll just save it for some other time."

So if we're keeping score:
flowers- dead
jewelry- broken
chocolate- rejected

At least I know I'm loved and appreciated.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Tell John I'll take the chocolate! :)

Rachel said...

hilarious! A for effort!

Rees Family said...

I hope you called that stupid flower place and got your money back. That sucks! I'll take the chocolate as well. I took care of my own Mother's Day present this year and bought tickets for Wicked. SO excited!

Jill P. said...

Happy Mother's Day! I enjoyed your addition to Grammy's tribute. She was so surprised. Your Mom did a great job. Sorry about your flowers. I think you ought to get your money back too. I received a gift certificate for a massage. I was pretty happy with that!