Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We ♥ Scouting

In the last weeks, my two oldest advanced in rank in scouting.

Madison just graduated from a Brownie to a Junior. They had a little bridging ceremony to celebrate this fact with her troop.
We had debated whether or not to continue with Girl Scouts, but she's excited to keep with it. So never fear, those of you who rely on Madison to supply you with Samoas and Thin Mints are still safe for another year.
I'm sending her to "sleep away camp" again this summer. She is so excited.

~~~~~

Nick advanced to the rank of Star.
Unfortunately as I will not be winning "Mother of the Year" anytime soon, and John was out of town, I didn't show up to his Court of Honor, and had to resort to stealing this picture off a friend's blog. (Thanks, Rachel!)

Despite the fact that no one showed up to support Nick on this recognition night, we are fortunate to know those who will look out for and support our kids when we are unable (or forget) to be there. These pictures were just e-mailed to me. As I sit here and look at these pictures and let the guilt wash over me, I am thinking I will try to buy Nick's forgiveness (even though he's already given it freely) and buy him a snazzy sash to display his merit badges. Maybe some super cool green pants too.
He will be attending not one, but two scout camps in the next couple weeks. Next week is camp Geronimo, (week long overnighter) and the week after that is Lake Pleasant (day camp). He couldn't be more thrilled.

In preparation for that though, I need to go and sew some patches on his shirt (it's been a year and half and he still doesn't have the troop numbers or council patch sewn on). In my defense we tried once. I decided I don't like the badge magic (iron on stuff) that I used on his cub scout uniform, because the more you wash it, the more they tend to fall off, but the badge magic goo stays on and just looks gross. (And believe me, those shirts get washed. A lot.) So, I tried to sew on the patches, but I am retarded, and ended up using bad words and throwing the shirt at John to do it. He ended up breaking the thimble, shoving a pin through his finger, and bleeding all over the shirt. (more bad words were probably used).

So, I need to figure out how to sew in the next couple days. (unless I can bribe someone else to do it for me? any takers? Bueller? Bueller?)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

oh I think I have another one of him. I'll send it to you.

Jill P. said...

Congrats to Nick and Maddie. Sorry I can't help you with the sewing. I had to sew little star patches on Blythe's soccer uniform this winter and it took forever. At least I got it done though!