Friday, May 15, 2009

in a previous life, I was a doctor. I just know it.

Okay, so I know I've been slacking on the blog thing. But here's my excuse- I've been tired. Like, really, really, tired. Like, if I didn't know it were totally and completely 100% impossible, I'd be freaking out that I was pregnant. So I would get up in the morning (after 7-8 hours of sleep), and be so exhausted, and stay that way all day. Caffeine doesn't help. Exercise just wipes me out. My house is a mess, projects are staring me in the face, my to-do list is a mile long, and I can't even get jazzed about reading. It makes me tired. I have been getting the basics taken care of- there's milk in the fridge and food in the pantry, and the kitchen gets cleaned, but my bed hadn't been made in over a week (what's the point when I am hoping to crawl back in it?), and the kids don't ask "what's for dinner?" anymore, it's more like "So, uh, is dinner just whatever?" (whatever they can find and make themselves)


And so I know, you're thinking- "Too tired to sit at a computer and type?" No, just too tired to do anything interesting, and too emotionally exhausted to come up with anything worth blogging about. And my stupid computer is on the fritz, and it doesn't seem to like blogger, and so I am having a really difficult time uploading pictures, or viewing anyone else's pictures, so my super tired self is just saying "it's not worth even trying".


So being the super awesome uneducated don't have a clue self diagnostician that I am, it occurred to me the other day I might be anemic. It occurred to me the day after John had a business meeting at a steak house. I told him to order the biggest steak and bring me the leftovers. He did. And I didn't even bother re-heating it. Or using a fork. I just sat there on the couch, eating it with my fingers, savoring every last bite of it's medium-rare goodness. And when I couldn't stop thinking about it, and all I could think about was getting myself another big ol' hunk of red meat, I started to think there might be a problem.

When I was a little girl I was anemic. I don't remember much about it except having to go to the doctor so he could prick my finger and test my blood, and there was this huge brown bottle full of disgusting medicine that I had to take every day.

So adding those three things together- fatigue, red meat cravings, history of anemia, and the fact that I hadn't been eating many foods rich in iron lately, I concluded that I am, in fact, anemic. I probably should have a real doctor confirm my diagnosis, but I'm too tired to deal with that.

One evening as I sat pondering whether or not a Double-Double from In-n-Out was a good idea or not, I realized that it might help for the moment, but what about tomorrow? Or the next day? The extra long drive thru line made up my mind for me and I went to Sprouts instead. They were having a sale on vitamins. I bought a bottle of iron and came home and announced my diagnosis and treatment to John.

He thought it sounded reasonable, except he said that anemics are generally low in B-12 as well, and as B-12 aids in digestion, the best way to take it is not a pill, but a shot in the bum. (We already know this as he has a B-12 deficiency and I've been giving him shots for years.) So he talked me into letting him give me a shot, I think he was just thinking payback for all the years of me sticking a needle in his backside. But truthfully what really convinced me to let him, was the fact that I saw an advertisement for some weight loss Dr.'s office advertising "B-12 shots", and I was wondering what they charge to do that. The stuff is fairly inexpensive, but you need a prescription to get it because you inject it, even though it's just a vitamin.


So I'll try to let you know how it goes. I'm on day three, and feeling a little better I think. I actually think that cleaning out my closet doesn't sound so overwhelming any more. I am also going to try and figure out how to fit some iron-rich, weight watchers approved foods into my diet. My problem is that while I love a good spinach salad, what I really love is all the stuff in it that isn't so good for you. Currently I am harassing this poor woman at my church for her salad recipe. It had spinach and tortellini and onions and candied nuts and strawberries (I think) and the dressing was to die for. It's probably like a million calories though.

1 comment:

Thatcher Family said...

Anemia...yep. That's fun stuff right there. :P I was anemic while I was pregnant with both my kiddos...you should have seen me in a steak house. All I wanted was red meat my whole pregnancy. :P I started taking Slow-Fe. It's an iron supplement that is a slow release iron, so to prevent constipation. Regular iron can really mess you up that way. Hopefully the B-12 can help with that, but I don't know. Anyways, try that out when you run out of your other stuff or if you notice a problem. It helped a lot for me.