Sunday, July 5, 2009

Party like it's 1989

That was the theme of this year's Cisco Live! Customer Appreciation Event. I thought it was pretty cool.

I got to go as "a guest" which in geek world means I'm not cool.

So, I figured being one of 2 people out of 10,000 who put any effort into 80's-ifying their appearance couldn't make me less of a dork. And let's face it, I'm guessing not many of these guys won any popularity contests back in 1989.
So how awesome is my "I'm the geek's girlfriend" t-shirt? Pretty nifty, eh? I've been waiting for two years to wear it since I bought it back when John first passed his CCIE and I threw him a party. Also my hair is crimped. Even though it's hard to tell in the picture. I had to borrrow the crimper from a friend (and hi, Tricia- I'm not sure when you'll be getting it back -I am having way too much fun with it)

Right when we walked in, they gave us "Devo Hats" or "Energy Domes" if you're a real fan. (I had to Google it) Which was like, pretty awesome, except believe it or not I actually spent quite a bit of time on my hair, and was a little disappointed to cover it up. (my lack of skill with hair requires an incredible amount of time for mediocrity)
The Devo Hats kept our heads warm. The party was out on an island in the middle of the bay, and it was freakin' cold and windy. Holy Cow.
The food was so-so. The soda selection stunk (Tab or Shasta) but as usual, there was more than enough beer to go around. There were also carnival games and rides. Oh, and it was all free.

But I wasn't there for any of that stuff- I was there for the concert- Devo (of course- why else would we be wearing these silly hats?),
B-52's, the Bangles, Howard Jones, the guy from Tears for Fears, Tone Loc, Sugarhill Gang, and a guy from Flock of Seagulls (we were late- we missed him. Apparently he just played the one song "And I ran, I ran so far away" and then got up and walked off).

We had fun. The music was pretty good, given that most of these artists were well past their prime. And my shirt got a few laughs.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

It doesn't show up on the blog. It was likely the computer you were using when you did the post. Jayson uploaded some program that did that to one of my posts last year. I just went in & uninstalled the program...never had a problem again.

Miss said...

HILARIOUS!! ;) Love the t-shirt (and you look great in it!!) :P Sheesh, you guys are gonna go through some serious party-withdrawals when you get back!!

Nancy said...

A. Love your side pony.
B. You got to see the Bangles? Jealous.
C. The picture of all those people in their hats is hilarious.