Last week I was asked what exactly I do at Catz. I spent the week trying to surreptitiously take some pictures with my iphone, but they didn't turn out so well. I was afraid I'd get yelled at or at the very least ridiculed, because almost anything is ridicule worthy in their (the trainers) eyes.
For instance, last week, some of the ladies were talking about Gray's Anatomy and how the station messed up and played 7 minutes of Private Practice in the middle of Gray's Anatomy and then kept interrupting with the weather report. Apparently the TV station thought the fact that a tornado was threatening the valley was more important than the fictional drama going on in a hospital hundreds of miles away. So- one of the trainers turned down the music and insisted on hearing all about it. (they don't like it when we can talk, that means we're not working hard enough)
So, a typical hour class at Catz goes something like this- First 15 minutes running and stretching. We do laps on the indoor track that runs the length of the room. One lap forwards, the next we run backwards, (it's a miracle I haven't fallen down yet- I am horribly uncoordinated.) Then we skip, and side shuffle, and on and on, until finally we get to slow down and do lunges the whole way down. And then finally a series of stretches as we walk the length of the track (that's my favorite part)
Then we get divided up into groups for the rest of the hour and we do "stations" for a minute until he yells "switch!" I'm always with the older, less fit crowd. Sometimes I have to watch high school teams work out. Nothing makes you feel old and out of shape than trying (and failing) to do the same intensity as a 16 year old girl. While she talks and giggles away like she was doing nothing more than getting her nails done. Lunges and squats can always be expected, and generally in conjunction with some kind of weight- dumbbells, medicine balls, sand bags.
Yesterday we did a "bear crawl" where you walk on your hands and feet, with dumbbells in your hands. So tough.
At any rate, I come home sweaty and exhausted. And generally speaking, there's always some part of my body that hurts. Today it's the muscles in the side of my neck. I didn't know I had muscles there or what I did to hurt them.
Well, I had better go. I have to figure out what to eat before I head to yet another Catz class. I'm supposed to eat 5 small meals a day. It's 4 pm, and this will be number 3. Eating has lost it's appeal lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm tired reading this.
Wow! That does sound intense. So you don't ever get to anything fun like yoga? I tried a kickboxing class today and it was HARD. I think I'll wait awhile before trying it again.
This sounds like fun...all except the eating part.
Hey, is there a trainer named Anthony? HATE that guy! Don't let him call you Dude or laugh at you.
You're one tough lady. I tried the bear crawl just for fun and I found out that it isn't very fun after all!!
Post a Comment