Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Rhine River

One of my little day excursions took me to the Rhine River Valley.

Back before Germany was Germany, they had little kingdoms running amok in the area. The Rhine river is lined with castles up and down the river banks to exact tolls from any merchants trying to haul their wares down the river.

The castles weren't so great for merchants back then, but excellent for modern day tourists.

On our last trip to Germany a couple of years ago, John and I drove through the area, top down on our Ford convertible, and had a lovely day. Glorious, really.

This time around, it was "nice". And by nice I mean it paled in comparison to the last time I visited the area. The view was still amazing, but this time my travel companion was off doing his job somewhere, and the weather was uncomfortably warm. (Still not AZ hot, but then again you don't see me sightseeing outside in AZ in the summer)
Since the last time we drove, this year I opted to take the river cruise through what Rick calls the "Best of the Rhine".
I parked in Bacharach and took a tour boat down to St. Goar, snapping pictures of towns and castles along the way.

When I got to St. Goar, I debated going up to the castle that we loved so much last year, but ending up deciding against it, because mostly I didn't want to diminish the memory of last time.
With John vs. being alone, gorgeous weather vs. sweat dripping down my back, a whole castle practically to ourselves vs. over crowded with tourists.
I ended up buying myself an ice-cream cone and caught the boat going back up (down?) the river to Bacharach and my car.

On the way back home I was pretty proud of myself for hitting 230 kmh. (about 140 mph) John's new record is 250 kmh.

No comments: