Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tegelberg

Thanks to a big storm during the night, the weather was slightly chilly the next morning. We left our up until then completely un-needed jackets back at the hotel, and ended up buying sweatshirts. I wasn't thrilled about paying for them, but I was thrilled about needing them.

After the castles, we took a gondola ride up the side of Tegelberg mountain. (Tegelbergbahn). I was actually looking forward to the Alpine slide (luge course) at the bottom of the mountain. I grew up going to the Alpine slide in Park City, and was excited to say I had been on a real Alpine slide, not a Wasatch Mountain Slide that calls itself an "Alpine Slide".

All I can say is "LAME!". It's hard to describe how not-fun it looked. I was so disappointed. So we skipped that and just took the gondola up to the top of the mountain.

That was very much NOT lame. The view was amazing. To be up among the clouds and just watch them moving, mountains disappearing and reappearing all around you, and feel like you are on top of the world looking down over the valley.

There were some hang-gliders jumping off the side of the mountain, and John and I made a deal that next time we came back, we'd take lessons. (go tandem with someone who won't let us crash into the side of the mountain)

We ended up having a light dinner at the restaurant on the top. It was the end of the day, and they didn't have much, so we both had hot cocoa, (it was a little chilly up top) John got apple streudel, and I was brave and tried "pancake soup". It was yummier than it sounds. It was like onion soup with strips of crepes (not the sweet kind) in it.

No comments: