Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Things that should catch on in the USA

Nutella-

I realize they've had this in the states for years, I even have a jar in my pantry, but didn't quite get the genius of spreading chocolate on my toast until yesterday morning. It feels a little like cheating- eating chocolate for breakfast without any more guilt than butter or jam or cream cheese on your toast. Starts the morning off right!

Autobahn-style driving-

I was impressed last time, and I'm still impressed. And it's not just the ability to "drive without speed limits" - that's the best part, but it's the whole package. The passing lane is for passing, the slow lane is for the slowest people (semi's, trucks with trailers, etc) and the middle lane(s) are for every one else. You can be in the passing lane as long as nobody is trying to pass you, then you get out of the way, and quickly. It's a beautiful thing.

Which is why I think it won't ever be a reality in the states. Besides no speed limits (but only in certain stretches of freeway- they are sensible about it), there were no idiots going 5 miles under the speed limit in the passing (fast) lane, no cars pulled over to the side of the road for any reason- thereby slowing down traffic so people can gawk, and/or cause more accidents, (they take care of their cars here- I hear you get fined if you run out of gas on the autobahn), etc. I think I've got it boiled down to respect. Respect for the signs that are posted (including speed limits), respect for other drivers on the road, respect for their cars, etc. So when an opportunity comes to tear down the freeway at speeds that will land you in jail in the states, you can take it. And unfortunately it's that respect issue (and probably the truckers unions) that will get in the way of this little fantasy of mine.

- on a side note, John was telling me about some idiots he works with that were over here a month or so ago, and they thought there were no speed limits at all in Germany. So they rented a fast car, and sped all over the country. Rumor has it they were blowing through school zones at speeds of 120 mph or so. 2 weeks after turning in their car, they received a bill from the rental car company saying they owed 1200 in fines, and if they ever showed up in Bavaria again, they'd be arrested on sight.

3 comments:

Jill P. said...

Justin and I noticed the same thing in England when we were driving all over the country. People actually used the left lane for passing ONLY! It was quite a revelation. I do wish it would catch on here, but like you said not likely to happen. So since those idiots John works with aren't allowed back in the country I guess he'll be assigned even more trips to Germany!

Britt Chudleigh said...

Love it......love it all! Parley's Canyon is the worst in terms of this "respect" you speak of. 45 in the fast lane!!! Grrrrrrrrr.

And about the nutella. Huge fan. It isn't JUST the fact that it's chocolate. I love the hazelnut too. Mmmmmm. Gotta go..mine is calling. :)

Have a great time!

Rachel said...

Me and Nutella are like best friends.